The difference between the soiling characteristics of upholstery fabrics and carpet fibers, both from the standpoint of construction and usage is obvious. Upholstery offers no place for soil to “hide”. Furniture is also subjected to a different set of soiling conditions than carpeting, mainly body oils, which if not cared for under a preventative care system, can cause discoloration in a short period of time and may even develop into a non-restorable condition. For this reason, normal cleaning is recommended every 12-24 months, depending on usage and other factors.
Upholstery fabrics present a much wider range of fiber types, construction, colorfastness and shrinkage factors than carpet fibers. New fibers, finishes and colors are offered continuously in the furniture field, making it more critical for a trained confident professional to perform the cleaning. Fibercare is proud to be experienced and IICRC certified in Upholstery and Textile Cleaning.
With care over the years, upholstered furniture can be used longer before reupholstering or buying a new piece.
Leather has both a unique look and feel to it including many different finishes and dyes added to it to make it appealing. A process of cleaning the leather involves:
- Identifying what type of leather it is and what finish it has on it.
- Clean (soil removal without affecting the original properties or finish)
- Revitalize (it replenishes the natural moisture, promotes suppleness)
- Apply protector (an invisible, breathable barrier providing protection against oil, water and alcohol based stains as well as helping to resist the daily soil)
- For a DYI, stop by the Fibercare office -we sell leather cleaning kits and individual bottles. Or, the next time you schedule a cleaning, ask if a tech can bring a leather cleaning kit to purchase.
Our purpose is not only to help you enjoy the look and feel of your leather furniture for a long time but to increase the longevity through proper care
In some cases restoration should be done. This is where we add color (as in pigmented leather), or dye (as in annolin leather) and in some cases we can make repairs to cuts, holes and restitching.
It is recommended that your leather be cleaned and revitalized every 6 to 12 months.